It’s easy to block someone on most social media applications. But what if someone bothers you with text messages or phone calls?
The good news is, you can block numbers from calling and sending your texts without third-party applications. Smartphones and other text supporting cellular services today allow you to block certain phone numbers by using the information contained in them. It is available and easily accessible on most models.
Here’s how to activate this option on different devices.
How to Block Text on an Android Device
The steps may vary depending on the operating system that your phone is running on, or the model you are using. However, the process must be approximately the same on all Android devices. Follow the instructions below to block messages from certain numbers:
- Launch the default messaging application on your smartphone.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, you will see a three dot icon. Tap to see more options.
- Select Spam and be blocked.
- You will see all the blocked resources and chats on the next screen. To add more, tap the three dot icon again.
- Select Blocked contacts.
- Tap on Add number.
- Enter the number from which you don’t want to receive messages and tap Block to confirm.
Note that you will also block this person from calling you by default.
Some Android versions and phone models may have the option to lock someone directly from your chat with them. Look for the menu in the conversation before you choose another way to block the person’s message.
How to Block Text on iOS Devices
Apple also ensures that iOS users can stop people from disturbing them by activating the message block option. Here’s how to block text messages from certain phone numbers. Note that the steps may differ depending on your iOS model. Apple’s official website offers instructions for OS 12 and 13 versions.
- From your home screen, go to Settings.
- Scroll to find Messages and tap the tab to open it.
- Find the Send Unknown Filter option and turn it on. This will prevent strangers from sending you texts. When you block these messages, they will be moved to the Unknown Sender tab, and you will not receive notifications about them.
However, if you want to block certain phone numbers, you can do this from your messaging application.
- Launch the Messaging application and find the conversation you want.
- Select the i icon at the top of the screen. It’s in the right hand corner.
- Choose a phone number or contact name to see more details.
- Scroll to the Block this Call option and tap to activate it.
You can always check who you are blocking by following these steps:
- Open the Settings application from your home screen.
- Open Message.
- Select Blocked Contacts and check the list.
How to Block a Number from Calling You
If you also want to block certain people or groups of people from calling you, here’s how to do it on another phone.
For Android Users
Android users can automatically block numbers from their calls when they block their text messages. However, there are other ways to block calls from certain people.
- From the home screen, tap the handset icon to see your calls.
- Tap the three dot icon above.
- Select Blocked.
- Select Call blocking rules.
- You can choose to block various types of calls: all incoming numbers, strangers, or private / withheld.
You can’t block certain numbers this way, so you have to go through the messaging application. However, you can return to the call list, tap the contact and hold it until the pop-up menu appears. Then select Block contact from this menu, and this contact will be added to the list of people you are blocking.
For iOS Users
You can block numbers from contacting you in a few easy steps. Here’s what to do:
- Open the Phone application to see all your registered calls.
- Under Recent, find the number that you want to block.
- Tap the i icon next to this source or desired contact.
- Scroll down to find this Blockthis Caller option and tap to activate it.
Be aware that people who are blocked can leave voice messages for you. And you will not receive any notification about it. People who try to call you won’t know that I’m blocked because they don’t receive notifications about unsent messages.
Protect Your Privacy
Blocking people from sending you text messages is a practical option that is activated by the Android and iOS operating systems. This not only saves you from stalking, but also keeps your phone spam free. You don’t need to mourn anymore with unwanted advertisements or other types of spam messages.
Have you tried blocking certain numbers from sending your text? Tell us how it works in the comments section below.