Teams allows colleagues to chat in specific groups or privately. Here’s how to set things up in Microsoft Teams.
Thanks to its close integration with Office 365, Microsoft Teams is one of the most popular collaboration tools today.
Teams allows colleagues to chat in a variety of ways: text, voice and video calls, and share and collaborate on files and projects.
When you create a team, such as a marketing or sales team, you can then create different channels within it so that different projects or discussions can occur separately rather than being mixed in one place.
Here, we will show you how to create teams and channels.
How to create a team in Teams
First you need to set up a Teams account. We’re using the desktop app here, but the process is similar on the mobile app.
1) Open the Microsoft Teams app or use the web version. Click on ‘Teams’ in the tab on the left
2) Select ‘join or create a team’ in the lower left corner
3) Next, click on ‘Create team’
4) In the pop-up that appears, select ‘build team from scratch’
(If you have already set up a team, you can select ‘Create from’ to create a new team from one of the existing teams.)
5) To limit who can join or view the team, select ‘Private’ or ‘Public’ depending on your preferences.
6) Type a name for the team
7) Next, start adding people to the team. As you type a name, a drop-down will appear of everyone in the organization
8) To finish, click ‘Create’
How to create a channel in Teams
You’ll want to create a ‘channel’ within each team. These can be for a variety of different uses and will be specific to your business needs. They might be for smaller groups within a larger team, if that makes sense, or you might want to create a channel for each client, or ‘New ideas’ or ‘Feedback’ or something else.
1) Click the button marked ‘Create more channels’. If you don’t see this, click on the new team you just created under the Teams tab, and make sure ‘Posts’ is selected at the top.
2) Give the channel a name, you can also add a description to show its use
3) Next, select a privacy option. A drop-down will appear to select ‘Standard’ or ‘Private’. This will filter whether everyone on the channel or only certain people can view this channel. A drop-down option will appear for adding a name, whether you choose the ‘Standard’ or ‘Private’ option.
4) Click ‘Add’ and the channel will appear automatically
Want to learn more? Check out our guide to Microsoft Teams.