If you’ve ever lost your phone, you’ll know how much of a hassle it is trying to get it back. But thanks to advances in technology, you can now find your lost cellphone using Alexa. Different operating systems and smartphone manufacturers have their own methods for tracking and recovering a lost device. Apple has a built-in “Find My iPhone” feature in iCloud – which you can learn how to use here – while Android devices can be tracked using Google maps, while Samsung has its own Find My Mobile feature, which helps users track and find kissing Samsung devices.
Not to forget, Amazon also presents its own device tracking feature, which uses an artificial intelligence-powered smart assistant, Alexa. Alexa can help you find your device using a variety of features, including tracking your phone and even giving you the location where your device was last seen or where it was last detected. Let’s get into business today and show you how you, too, can harness the power of Alexa to help you track and / or locate your lost device.
Using Alexa to Work Enabling the “Find My Phone” Skill
Just like any other intelligent creature, Alexa needs training to find your lost device. This is a skill that Alexa has to learn, but unlike humans and other living things who have to go through months or even weeks of training before they can master any skill, all Alexa needs is a few clicks and taps, and the skill will become learned. quickly and easily.
To teach Alexa to learn and master the skills to find your lost cell phone, here are the steps you must take:
- Launch the Alexa app on your mobile device.
- Tap the menu icon (three horizontal bars) at the top left corner of your device screen.
- Tap on the Skills & Games option from the list in the drop-down menu.
- Click on the search icon (magnifying glass image) at the top right corner of your device screen.
- Tap the Find My Phone option from the resulting list.
- Click on the search result that appears at the top of the list, and it will take you to a page with a comprehensive list of options. Alternatively, you can also tap on a skill labeled Find My Phone, a skill that appears with a logo.
- On the next skill screen, click the Enable to Use option from the list of options.
Once you have done this, you will successfully teach Alexa how to use Find My Phone. This is a skill Alexa will use to track and locate your device if it gets lost in the near future.
At this point, you will then need to use a third-party application software service that is compatible with the Alexa software to help track and locate your device. The following are some of the applications you can connect with Alexa’s artificial intelligence software to help locate and locate your lost phone.
Use the TrackR App to Create an Alexa Tracker
One of the official apps for Finds My Phone which is supported by the gadget powered by Alexa is Tracker. It’s really simple to set up, but doesn’t work for every situation. Here’s how to check if it will work with your device:
- Download and activate the Trackr application on your Alexa gadget. You can do this through your associated cell phone (the phone or tab you’ve connected your gadget to), or basically say, “Alexa, ask Trackr to find my phone.” (Note that before losing your device you will have to install the Trackr app on the device you are trying to find for this to work.
- Open the Trackr application on your smartphone, then select the Add A New Device option.
- Click on Alexa Integration, and immediately follow the on-screen instructions to connect your smartphone to the Amazon Echo speakers.
- For some added security, there is additional authentication, which requires you to follow a few more steps where you will be asked to connect a PIN from your Alexa-enabled device to your smartphone.
- Follow the instructions that are sent on the screen to complete the process of linking all of your accounts together.
- At this point, you will have successfully activated two new commands. One such command is to ask Alexa to give you the last known location of your device, which will make Alexa notify you of the address of your phone’s last known location. The second command is to ask Alexa to make a call to your phone, which will do just that.
Using the Mobile Locator App to Get Alexa to Call Your Lost Phone
Setting up the Mobile Finder is a little more complicated and complicated than using the Trackr app. However, since not all phones are compatible with the TrackR application, your options may be limited, and you may have to use the Mobile Finder application. But don’t worry, we’re going to show you how you can also set up the Phone Finder app on your device.
Note that before losing your device you must have installed the Phone Finder app on the device you are trying to find for this to work.
- Download the Mobile Finder app to your Alexa-enabled device. You can download apps manually from your app store, or you can issue the command, “Alexa, activate Mobile Finder.”
- You can calibrate your device to connect to this skill by dialing (415) 212-4525 using the phone you wish to register with the app.
- After you have successfully dialed the number, say “Alexa, ask Cell Phone Finder what is my PIN code,” and Alexa will read out your registered PIN code to you.
- Type a PIN into your smartphone, and your two devices will be connected immediately if the PIN is proven correct.
To use the skill, say, “Alexa, start Mobile Finder and call me.” Your linked device will start ringing.
It is important to note that you can use this skill to connect to only one mobile device. If you wish to have another mobile device connected, you will be forced to delete the skill and then make Alexa learn it again by going through the registration process again.
Setting Up Your Personalized Alexa Skills Using the IFTTT Platform
This method is even more complicated than the previous one. However, once you get the hang of it, you will automatically know how to use a system that allows you to connect all kinds of devices. This method involves using a service called IFTTT, which means “If This Then That”.
IFTTT is a website that allows users to establish connections between various devices connected to the internet. IFTTT is so efficient that it helps you to set up connections that you couldn’t set up before. To learn how to connect your two devices in order to establish a connection between them, follow the steps below:
- Go to www.ifttt.com and log into your account (you can also download the IFTTT app on your Android device here. You can also download the IFTTT mobile app on your iOS device here). If you are a first-time visitor to the site or don’t have an account yet, you will first need to register a new free account before proceeding to the next step.
- Create the channels you need. To be able to do this, you have to click on the Channels icon, which is located at the top of the screen. Click on the Alexa channel, then click the Select Connect button. After this point, you will then be asked to log into your Alexa account to confirm the connection that you just made.
- In the next stage you have to create your own Telephone line. To do this, click again on the Channels tab, and then continue to search for “Phone Calls”.
- Again, click Connect, then type in your phone number and click on the Send PIN button. The website service will call your phone, and then you can confirm the PIN code.
- You have immediately successfully added both your devices to the website server; You can continue and establish a telephone call connection between your two devices. To do this directly from the IFTTT website, you will need to start by first selecting your username from the menu in the top right corner of your computer screen, then selecting the Create option from the drop-down menu.
- Select This to start the process of establishing a connection and then search for Amazon Alexa just below the Choose Trigger channel.
- Pick the Say a Specific Phrase option as your preferred trigger, then type in something you won’t easily forget. We recommend that you type something like “Find my device” or “I can’t find my device”.
- Choose Create Trigger, then click That to set up the next section.
- Click on the Phone Call line and then click on My Phone as your preferred action.
- Finally, click Create Action to complete the connection you have set up, and then you can proceed to select Create Recipe to lock and secure everything in place.
If you are an Android device user, you should be able to come up with a different recipe that will allow you to get the IFTTT website to change the volume on your phone to the maximum decibel. This will ensure that your chances of hearing it ring are much higher because your device will ring higher than if you had not used this feature before trying to play your device.
At this point, you should be able to call “Alexa” and follow the name verbatim with the particular command you typed in earlier. This will place a call to your phone, and the phone will ring immediately. Again, it’s important to remember that this is a method that requires you to download and activate the IFTTT service before losing your device.
If this explicit guide has helped you, let us know in the comments section below. We love hearing from you, and we’d love to hear all about your thoughts and suggestions on how we can make this guide more useful to all of our readers. Congratulations and good luck with keeping your device safe and sound!