If you prefer to use the app in dark mode, here’s how to enable dark mode on Instagram.
The introduction of dark mode for our devices and applications is a welcome feature for many. Dark mode can relieve the strain we put on our eyeballs when using our devices in low light, as well as the distraction we might cause to others with the bright light of our screens.
So, of course, more and more companies are providing dark mode options for their apps. Luckily, Instagram is one of them. And in this article we will show you how to enable dark mode on Instagram for Android and iOS.
How to Use Dark Mode on Instagram for Android
You can turn Instagram dark with just a few taps on your Android. And since the company offers this as an app feature, it won’t affect any other apps you use. Just go to Instagram and follow these steps.
- Open your profile by tapping your photo or icon.
- Tap the Menu button (three lines) at the top right and select Settings.
- Scroll down and select Themes.
- Mark the option for Dark.
This setting lets you use dark mode on Instagram even when you don’t want your device to use it for itself or any other app.
If you prefer to only use dark mode while the phone is doing so, you can check the System Default option. This way, Instagram will follow dark mode along with your system theme. If you haven’t already, here’s how to enable dark mode on Android.
- Open your Settings and select Display.
- On Android 10 or later, select the Dark theme. Note that you can schedule specific times to use dark mode if you want. On previous versions of Android, select Advanced and mark Dark (or Automatic if you prefer).
How to Use Dark Mode on Instagram for iOS
While Instagram offers a dark mode theme on Android, it doesn’t currently do so on iOS. However, you can put your iPhone or iPad to dark mode manually or automatically. This will also darken Instagram.
- Go to your Settings and select Display & Brightness.
- At the top, mark the option for Dark. Your device will remain in dark mode until you change it.
- Optionally, you can use the Automatic setting by activating the switch. Then you can schedule a time to automatically change the display from “dark to sunrise” based on your location or use the Custom Schedule feature.
Hopefully Instagram will bring its dark theme from Android to iPhone and iPad in future versions of the app. But in the meantime, you have the option to turn Instagram dark.
Taking Instagram to the Dark Side
Dark mode is a great feature if you use your mobile device late at night in bed and don’t want to annoy your partner or cause unnecessary strain on your eyes.
And with more apps implementing this feature every day, be sure to review the settings for any new apps you install to see if dark mode is available. Which is for Instagram!