Imagine scrolling through images and you find the perfect color – the right color you need for your next design project. There are some amazing tools on the internet to help you identify certain colors in any application or website. Let’s look at some of the best options for them.
1. Using the Developer Tools on the Chrome Web Browser
One option you can try is the Chrome Developer tool. Chrome comes with many useful features for developers, making the task easier to do. You can use the following steps to identify certain colors in any application or website.
- Open the website where you want to identify the color in the Chrome web browser.
- Click the three dot icon on the top right of Chrome. A popup with many options will appear.
- Click on ‘Other Tools’ and then select ‘Developer tools’ from the resulting pop up.
- Use Ctrl + Shift + I if you want to skip the steps above
- Now, the window is divided into two screens – the website on the left and the website code on the right
- Type Ctrl + Shift + C on your keyboard. This shows you all the details of certain elements on the website when we hover the mouse cursor over the element.
- You can find the element’s color code along with other useful information.
Say you are interested in certain color codes for some elements on the following website:
The screen will be visually divided into two pages. You will see the website on the left and the site code on the right.
Type the commands and shortcuts “Ctrl + Shift + C” and hover your mouse cursor over the website elements. This will show the color of the element, along with other useful information. Following are two examples where we found the color of the navigation bar and dashboard under the search tool.
Here, we can find the color code on the pop up bar for the navigation bar. The color code is # 333333.
Dashboard colors can be found along with other useful details. Color: # 333333, Background color: # 5D4A8E. Although it might seem a little intimidating at first, the program is easier to use with a little practice.
2. Chrome Eye Dropper Extension
Eye Dropper is a popular Chrome extension and is widely used to help you find certain colors on any website or application.
Follow the steps below to identify specific colors on a website or application using the Eye Dropper extension tool.
- Open any website or application in the Chrome Web Browser
- Click on the Eye Dropper extension icon
- Choose ‘Choose a color from a web page’ and point your mouse cursor over various elements in the application or website.
You can find the color code element listed at the bottom right of the web page.
Okay, let’s use the Eyedropper extension tool in a real life example. We will start by opening the website and pressing the Eye Dropper extension icon.
When you hover over various website elements, you can see the color code appear in the bottom right of the screen.
When I hover over the V-shaped icon, I can see the color code in the bottom window as mentioned. The advantage of this tool is that you can also find the RGB code along with the hex color code element. This method is flexible to use for those who want a simple and fast way to retrieve codes for their favorite colors.